Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Foil and Sharpie Name Drawing

This was a bonus project for artist who had completed their foil owls and leaves.
(It was also a great way to use up the scraps of poster board left over too!)

I cut the scrap into 2x8 inch strips. They wrapped the foil over the board, just using the folds to secure it. The kids then used colored sharpies to write their name. They added colored shapes around their name, pressing a bit to push the foil down. They left spaces between the colors to create a leaded stained glass look. (Unlike the owl artwork, these do not have raised glue lines-just foil an sharpie. The pressure of the Sharpie just pushes the foil up a bit.) The piece is then taped to a larger scrap of the black poster board to frame it.

Make it a Wonderful Day!

6 comments:

  1. I tried to leave you a comment on the foil owl post. I couldn't get it to work. All I could think of was WoW and Awesome! They were great. I have a feeling you are making a great difference in those youngsters lives. The pride they must feel at such a fantastic accomplishment! What an ego booster. Wish I had had an art teacher like you! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this and it didn't turn a golden color, I used black and I put it on then waited a bit then wiped it off and the black stayed in the cracks and the rest was just silver again, so I applied it again and left it on for a few minutes and now it's a wierd gray... Lol should I have tried the brown shoe polish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you weren't happy with the results! The foil will stay foil colored, not gold. The shoe polish gives it an aged metal look, more along the lines of pewter. If you want a golden effect, you'd have to start with a golden hued foil.

      Delete
  3. this is a really cool idea! how old were the kids who did this? about how long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! These were done by kids grade 1-6 in after school classes. They are quick to do- an hour class period. This was a bonus/filler project.Some kids made more than one so they could give them to friends or siblings. If you make one of your own as a sample, you can get a feel for how long you'd like to spend on them. :D

      Delete